1) What is ability to role linking & why is this important
2) How to link abilities to roles
i) How to use the 'AND / OR' logic when linking abilities to clients
3) Abilities linked to roles on the roster
🔍 RELATED ARTICLES
1) What is ability to role linking & why is this important?
By linking abilities to the organisation structure (e.g. roles) in easyemployer; users can make certain skills or qualifications preferred or required to perform a role. This means that if a user does not possess the ability they will be given a lower rank in the suitability ranker or if the ability is required users will be prevented from being assigned a shift. These are set against specific roles as an ability that might make a user unsuitable for one role might not be required for another.
Some industries have a requirement for users to possess a specific qualification to work certain roles. Many of these qualifications have an expiry date attached (such as first aid). If (or) when these qualifications expire the employee should no longer be eligible for the shift or role.
NOTE: This feature is not active in all easyemployer accounts. If you require this feature please contact our support team at email@example.com
2) How to link abilities to roles.
1. Click Organisation.
2. Click Roles.
3. Select a role.
4. Select the Abilities tab.
5. Click 'Add' in the top right corner to add a new ability.
6. Click in the Search box to select an ability.
7. The list displayed will be a complete list of all the abilities that have not been added to this role.
8. Once an ability has been added users can select if this ability will be a requirement for the role.
- If the checkbox has not been ticked the system will allocate a higher percentage in the suitability ranker for users that possess this ability.
- If the checkbox has been ticked the system will not allow a shift to be assigned to a user that does not possess the ability or if their ability has expired.
9. Click 'Add' to save.
10. Any abilities that have been added will appear on this screen.
i) How to use the 'AND / OR' logic when linking abilities to roles.
There are circumstances where an ability (e.g. skill or qualification) could be satisfied by more than one ability in the easyemployer system. The 'AND / OR' logic allows you to group abilities together, meaning that one (or more) ability can satisfy a roles requirements.
In the below example we will configure a 'role' to require an employee (user) who is 'first aid trained'. In the example provided these abilities satisfy this requirement:
- First Aid
- First Aid with CPR
1. Configure your role with all the abilities which could satisfy the requirement. Ensure (where applicable) that the abilities linked are configured 'as required'.
2. For each linked ability click 'edit' and configure a 'grouping code' for the ability. In this example the abilities are considered 'OR' so the grouping code we configure is the same value.
3. For this role, either the ability 'First Aid' OR the ability 'First Aid with CPR' will satisfy the abilities requirement for the roles rostered shift.
3) Abilities linked to roles on the roster.
When assigning a shift on a roster that has been linked to an ability / group of abilities (using the 'OR' logic); the following scenarios may occur.
1. The ability / group of abilities has been made a requirement of the role and the shift cannot be assigned to a user. The suitability ranker will display 0% and explain that the user does not satisfy the abilities requirements for this role.
🡪 The 'Save' button on the shift will also 'grey out' to prevent an unsuitable user from being assigned.
🡪 Dragging and dropping a shift will also be prevented; and a warning will be displayed at the top right of the screen.
2. The ability is not a requirement but is preferred. The suitability ranker will grade a user with the ability higher than a user that does not possess the ability. In the example below Patricia Young is the only user with the desired ability and as a result, she has been given a percentage 10% higher than the other users.
🡪 The users without the desired ability will display justification for the lower ranking.