This guide contains the following information:
- What is ability to role linking
- Why is this important
- How to link abilities to roles
- How to link roles to abilities
- Abilities linked to roles on the roster
What is ability to role linking
By linking abilities to roles in easyemployer users can make certain skills or qualifications preferred or required to perform a role. This means that if a user does not possess the ability they will be given a lower rank in the suitability ranker or if the ability is required users will be prevented from being assigned a shift. These are set against specific roles as an ability that might make a user unsuitable for one role might not be required for another.
Note: This feature is not active in all easyemployer accounts. If this feature needs to be activated please contact our support team on 1300 855 642.
Why is this important
Some industries have a requirement for users to possess a specific qualification to work certain roles. Many of these qualifications have an expiry date attached (such as first aid). If or when these qualifications expire the employee should no longer be eligible for the shift or role.
How to link abilities to roles
1. Click Organisation in the navigation bar
2. Select Abilities
3. Choose an ability (Users need to be assigned to an ability for this feature to function. Please refer to the guide for setting up abilities found HERE)
4. Click on the Roles tab
5. To link an ability to a role click on the 'Add' button in the top right corner
6. A popup box will be displayed that asks users to select a role. Click in the search box and select a role from the list displayed.
7. The list will consist of all the roles in the account that have ever been used. Select a role by clicking on it. Multiple roles can be selected before saving.
8. Once a role has been added users can select if this ability will be a requirement of the selected role. If the checkbox has not been ticked the system will allocate a higher percentage in the suitability ranker for users that possess this ability. If the checkbox has been ticked the system will not allow a shift to be assigned to a user that does not possess the ability or if their ability has expired.
9. Click 'Add' to save
10. All linked roles will be listed in the roles tab
How to Link roles to abilities
1. Click Organisation
2. Click Roles
3. Select a role
4. Select the Abilities tab
5. Click 'Add' in the top right corner to add a new ability
6. Click in the Search box to select an ability
7. The list displayed will be a complete list of all the abilities that have not been added to this role.
8. Once an ability has been added users can select if this ability will be a requirement for the role. If the checkbox has not been ticked the system will allocate a higher percentage in the suitability ranker for users that possess this ability. If the checkbox has been ticked the system will not allow a shift to be assigned to a user that does not possess the ability or if their ability has expired.
9. Click 'Add' to save
10. Any abilities that have been added will appear on this screen
Abilities linked to roles on the roster
When assigning a shift on a roster that has been linked to an ability the following scenarios may occur.
1. The ability has been made a requirement of the role and the shift cannot be assigned to a user. The suitability ranker will display 0% and explain that the user does not possess the required ability for this role.
- The 'Save' button on the shift will also 'grey out' to prevent an unsuitable user from being assigned.
- Dragging and dropping a shift will also be prevented and a warning will be displayed at the top right of the screen.
2. The ability is not a requirement but is preferred. The suitability ranker will grade a user with the ability higher than a user that does not possess the ability. In the example below Patricia Young is the only user with the desired ability and as a result, she has been given a percentage 10% higher than the other users.
- The users without the desired ability will display justification for the lower ranking.