This article includes the following topics:
- Term Explanation
- Opening the Award
- Updating Payroll Category Multiplier/ Hourly Rate
- Updating Position Base Hourly Rate
What is the Award payroll category
The Award payroll category dictates the rate of pay that a user receives as part of their employment contract.
Award payroll categories and position hourly rates may need to be updated at the start of the financial year.
In the following guide, we will demonstrate how to update payroll category multipliers (e.g. due to transitions) or position base hourly rates (e.g. due to yearly rate increase).
Why would you use this feature
To update payroll categories and position rates.
When would you use this feature
This feature can be used at any stage whilst using easyemployer, although if being applied for new financial year updates, you should wait until the first full pay period has started before making changes to payroll categories.
- When changes are applied to the payroll categories, this has immediate effect on the related pay groups in the current payroll period.
- For new financial year updates, these changes need to be applied to the first full pay period.
- Therefore, please wait until the first full pay period has started before making changes to payroll categories
- Award changes can be tricky and fluctuate based on your award transition requirements for the state / region.
- Depending on the payroll application in use by your organisation, changes made to payroll categories and position rates may also need to be updated within your payroll application. Please review this information within your payroll application after making any changes to ensure that the payroll categories and position rates match.
- If you require assistance, please contact easyemployer on 1300 855 642.
- Prefer to have our expert team perform these updates for you? We offer a number of award management plans that you can subscribe to. Please click HERE for more information.
- Base Award Pay Group - Casual, Part Time or Full Time used through all award positions
- Position - the award position the user is on, e.g. Retail Employee, Pharmacy Assistant
- Payroll Category - the payroll category is assigned to an interpretation period for the award, e.g. Saturday, and matches the payroll programs payroll category, e.g. the MYOB payroll category
How to open the Award
1. Click Organisation
2. Click Awards
3. Click the award you want to update
Updating Payroll Category Multipliers / Hourly Rates
1. Once you have the award open, scroll down to the Payroll Categories section
2. Click on the edit icon in line with the payroll category you want to update as shown in the following picture:
3. If the award payroll category is currently being used in an award pay group (most likely scenario) you will be prompted to confirm the edit as shown in the following picture:
4. Click Confirm
5. The payroll category will now be editable
6. Enter the new multiplier / hourly rate in the corresponding field as shown in the following picture:
7. The multiplier / hourly rate will now be updated in all pay groups that it is used in.
Updating Position Base Hourly Rates
1. Once you have the award open, click the position you want to update in the Positions section
2. The Rate Table for this position will be shown at the bottom
3. Click on Edit in line with the rate group you want to update as shown in the following picture:
4. If the rate group is currently being used by a user, you will be prompted to confirm the edit as shown in the following picture:
5. Click Confirm
6. Update the rates in the Base Hourly Rate column corresponding the the correct Identifier and once completed, click Update
7. The base hourly rates have now been updated and applied to any users already assigned to the particular identifier.