🔍 RELATED ARTICLES
After a leave request has been submitted, someone in the organisation will need to approve it. This guide details how to assign a user to approve leave requests.
If no one in the organisation has the permission set required to approve leave over the user's home role, then the leave requests will be available to be approved by the organisation's Administrator or the organisation's Owner.
NOTE: In order to approve leave requests (including receiving the email notification), the user's permissions must be set to either Administrator or Owner, and this needs to be assigned over the user's home role. Manager and Payroll Admin permission sets by default do not allow for the approval of leave requests.
Your organisation may have customised permissions - this needs to be considered as part of this guide.
2) Who receives the leave request email
Leave request emails will be sent to the primary approver(s). That is, the first level user(s) with leave approval permission (administrator and owner by default) over the users home role.
For example, if there are an administrator and owner over the area where the users home role sits, the administrator will receive the email. If there are multiple administrators assigned to the same area, where the user's home role sits, all administrators will receive the email.
3) Set up leave approvals
- Click Organisation.
- Click Organisation structure.
- The structure can be made up of the following:
- Payroll entity.
- Please see the Organisation Structure guide for further information.
- The organisation structure operates as a hierarchy, where users with an Area-level permission, have a higher permission than users with a Role-level permission, as they have the permission over all roles located under the area.
When setting the Leave approval levels, the user at the lowest level of the organisation structure for all groupsthat the employees fall under will receive notification regarding those leave requests.
- There is an Administrator in the area Sales called "Jake Barre", Jake also works in the same area as a Manager.
- There is also an Administrator for the site Headquarters called "Jane Doe".
- Lastly, there is an employee who works as an Sales Assistant called "James Broad".
If James applied for Leave, Jake would receive his leave request. If Jake was to apply for leave, Jane would receive his leave request, and so on.
- To add a user to a leave approval level, press on the heading for the group level (e.g. Sales (Area)), select Users from the sidebar and click on Add User(s) to Group.
Select the user(s) and press Add.
- The users will appear in the group with Employee level Group permissions.
- As previously mentioned,in order to approve leave requests, the user's permission set must be set to either Administrator or Owner.
- Press on the group permission.
- Select an appropriate level of permission and Update.
- In the example illustrated, Thomas Anderson will receive leave requests for employees who work in the Sales (Area) in the Headquarters (site) given that there aren't any users with the appropriate permission level lower down in the organisation structure.