🔍 RELATED ARTICLES
1) Shift breaks
Tracking the breaks that staff take while at work is a very important element of payroll processing and conforming to your industry award. Some awards require people to take breaks and in some instances employees not taking breaks can lead to penalty rates being applied (hospitality award).
Shift break functionality can be customised for each staff member. For example, if a client owns a restaurant, floor staff may be entitled to a 15 minute paid break if they work over 4 hours, but staff in the kitchen may not. This means that when staff are using the clocking station at work, or the website at home to clock their breaks, only the correct break types allowed will be displayed for them.
2) How to add a new break type
For additional information please watch the video.
- Click Organisation.
- Click on Awards.
- Select the Award.
- Scroll down to the Breaks types section of the page. All the breaks available for use in this award will be listed under this heading. Click Add to create a new break type.
- A popup box will appear and fields will need to be populated appropriately. Once the fields have been populated click the Create button to add this break type to the list.
- The new break type will now appear on the list.
- This break type now needs to be applied an Award Pay Groups. Scroll through to the Base award pay groups section, and click on the one you want to add the break type to modify it.
- On the next page, click Edit Award pay group.
- A popup will be displayed indicating the number of users that will be affected by this change. Click Yes to continue.
- Scroll down to Break Types and the new break will be listed but will not yet be ticked. Tick the new break type and click Submit.
- A system confirmation messages pops-up on the right side of the window.
- The new break will be available for users of this Award Pay Group. If other Award Pay Groups need this applied repeat the steps above.
3) Combined break types
It is possible to combine different types of breaks. For instance, your organisation may have a paid meal break and a non paid 10 minute rest break. Staff can take those breaks at different times of the day, but they can also take them one right after the other if they wish. For these cases, you can use Combined break types, that allows combining two of the existing break types your organisation has into one, so they can be taken consecutively.
To set this up, follow the first three steps as described above, then:
- Scroll down to the Combined break types section of the page and press Add.
- In the following popup box, give your new combined break a name, and select the two breaks you're combining from the list of existing break types available, then click Create.
- Your newly created combined break type is displayed in the Combined break types section.
- If you need to edit or delete the combined break, hover your mouse pointer over the combined break you'd like to change or delete. This will display a cog on the right side of the break that will give you the options to Edit or Delete it.