🔍 RELATED ARTICLES
Tracking the breaks that staff take while at work is a very important element of payroll processing and conforming to your industry award. Some awards require people to take breaks and in some instances employees not taking breaks can lead to penalty rates being applied (e.g., hospitality award).
Shift break functionality can be customised for each staff member. For example, if a client owns a restaurant, floor staff may be entitled to a 15 minute paid break if they work over 4 hours, but staff in the kitchen may not. This means that when staff are using the clocking station, or the website to clock their breaks, only the correct break types allowed will be displayed for them.
2) Add new break types
There are two parts to adding break types: The new break type has to be first created in the award, and then it has to be added to the award pay group(s) that require it.
i) Create a new break type in the award
Follow these steps to create a new break type:
- Click Organisation.
- Click Awards.
- Select the Award.
- Find the Break types section (all available breaks for this award are listed here).
- Click Add.
- Populated the required fields in the Create break type popup window.
- Click Create.
The new break type gets added to the list.
A minimum value on a break can be set to automatically enforce it. An example of this would be a 30 min lunch break. If a user takes 24 mins, the system can automatically adjusts it to 30 mins.
To set the minimum, follow the steps above and enter a value in the minimum field.
ii) Add the new break type to the award pay group
The new break type has been created but not yet assigned to any user in the organisation. It needs to be added to the applicable award pay group(s):
- Find the Base award pay groups section.
- Select the pay group (for this example "Full Time (LSL No Overtime)" has been selected).
- Click Edit Award pay group.
A popup displays indicating the number of users affected by this change.
- Click Yes to continue.
- Scroll down to Break Types.
- Tick the new break type.
- Click Submit.
- A confirmation message pops-up on the right side of the window.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Award page.
- Click Save and Update.
The new break is available for users of this award pay group. Repeat these steps for any pay groups requiring this beak type.
The breaks available to users anywhere in Easy Employer (mobile app, time clock –AIO Kiosks) are based on the breaks that are enabled in the users' award pay group.
If a user is entitled to a break and it is not showing, for instance in the mobile app, check if the break type has been configured in the user's award pay group.
3) Combine break types
It is possible to combine different types of breaks. For instance, your organisation may have a paid meal break and a non paid 10 minute rest break. Staff can take those breaks at different times of the day, but they can also take them one right after the other if they wish. For these cases, you can use Combined break types, that allows combining two of the existing break types your organisation has into one, so they can be taken consecutively.
To set this up:
- Open the award (first three steps of the previous section).
- Find the Combined break types section.
- Click Add.
- In the Create break type popup window:
- Give your new combined break a name.
- Select two breaks from the list of existing break types.
- Click Create.
- The newly created combined break type is displayed in the Combined break types section.
- If you need to change or delete the combined break, click Actions (three dots icon) and select Edit or Delete.